Tuesday, October 11, 2005

I Dream of Jeannie (song in my head).

Hi.

My mom gave me some INCREDIBLE roast marinated in red wine and shitake mushrooms. Once I crock-potted it and ate it up, it became evident I would have to cook again. So I decided to make polenta. It's not that expensive, and relatively easy. If you haven't made it before you may want to watch out for the following things:

1. When it says "pour in gradually" that really means GRADUALLY. A little bit! It's made of thin corn meal that becomes hard as a rock if you do anything else. Gradually!

2. Turn down the heat IMMEDIATELY once the polenta is added or it will bubble and boil and go "FLOOP!" onto your stovetop in an attempt to escape. Many, many times.

3. Be sure to add the ricotta cheese. Nobody will tell you this and it won't be on the package, but if you don't add cheese to the mixture it will taste like Cream of Wheat.

4. Allow it to cool for a good 20-30 minutes before eating. Otherwise it will still be gooshy and steamy and taste like what ladies and gents? That's right. Cream of wheat.

5. Make sure you have enough marinara to pour some on the slices when it's done. Again, avoiding the cream of wheat factor...

That's all I can think of for now. If any of you have made it and have suggestions, let me know. I think it's tasty (or would be had I done the right things).

Here it is.

No comments: