Friday, October 14, 2005

Hi.

Last night I had a video chat with my friend in Alabama. We both had never done this before and had webcams just sitting there, so we decided it was time to use them. They are surprisingly easy to use. It amazed me when we first opened our windows and saw each other and our computer desks. She showed me her clock in Central Time, and I showed mine in Mountain. It was cool and new and exciting and blew me away...for the first five minutes or so.

After awhile, we just kept talking and making weird faces at each other. It seemed normal to be doing this and it made me wonder why. Has technology gotten so advanced that now nothing will strike us as breathtaking for more than five minutes? I don't want to be a part of that world...I want amazement! It made me wonder if it would be a good idea to stop pushing forward for new inventions so much. Maybe if we just sat here a minute and caught our breath, we'd notice how pretty the drapes are in the sunlight. However, human nature is far too strong. Competition would kick in and people would be working ahead in secret so their nation could reign supreme in the "Tech War" once we all got started again.

We're pretty self-destructive at times, ain't we?

It seems big to propose an entire world stop thinking ahead, so maybe I could do that on a personal level. Maybe I could take a break from all these computers and internet applications and web design and blogs and yadda yadda...and just rest. Then when a new invention comes out, it will be REALLY BIG to me and I won't be over it within five minutes. The world will be NEW and DIFFERENT and EXCITING to me once again! Like a child!

Nah...I like my computer too much.

Anyway, moving on...here's a pic for the day. It's the pretty, non-technological mountain across the street.

1 comment:

Pjamms said...

Hi Mepatty!

Heh heh. Mepatty.

Give me your number and I WILL call you! Wooo!