Thursday, March 16, 2006

Un jour typique.

I was driving around town on my lunch today eating an entire loaf of garlic bread and looked down at the floor on the passenger side. In a plastic bag was a plumbing snake borrowed from my parent's friends John and Karen during a plumbing...mishap...last winter at my place (another story for another time). They were supposed to get it from me last weekend at dinner but had to run home for theatre tickets so it didn't happen. The damn thing has been in my car since December. "I (munchmunch) should have given it to them (munch) when there was (gulp) a chance..." thought I whilst stuffing my face.

While I was stopping for a red light, the loaf of garlic bread slid off the seat and plopped buttered-side up on the floor. Because the bag was there, it fell on a (relatively) clean, non-porous, plastic surface as opposed to the (gut-wrenchingly filthy) car floor. Guess what?? If they had gotten the snake from me last weekend, the garlic bread would have been RUINED. HAH!! Three cheers for laziness!! I must also mention my belongings from housesitting were in the backseat and I drove right past my apartment TWICE without stopping to put them awayAND IT WAS AWESOME.

Not wanting to revel too long in the moment at that point, I finished the bread and drove over to city hall (where Karen works) to drop off Le Snake. City hall is BEAUTIFUL. It was a W.P.A. project built during the depression and it has been restored magnificently. It was the first time I had ever been inside the building, and decided that was a good thing (the jail is at city hall).

Karen was happy, and a little surprised, to receive the snake and we had a good chat. I've never seen her office either. It was very nice. We said goodbye, made tentative plans to go to Wendover some time, and I went back up to the university.

What did you do this afternoon?

2 comments:

Wac said...

Hmmmm. I too love garlic bread, but ewww. You think that bag is non-porous? Take same said type of bag, put your hand in it, fill the sink up with water, put hand in bag in sink. Any wetness? But I guess thats better than shoe dirt. You nut!

Pjamms said...

Well I wasn't about to throw out a loaf of garlic bread! Luscious, handmade, restaurant gaaarlic breeeead...mmmmm...

I have to go.