Sunday, March 05, 2006

Delicious!!

So last night was awesome.

I went to my friend's house. She made fish tacos and I made saffron rice. We both made caramel brownies for dessert.

Mmm.

The rice turned out beautifully, thank you very much, and I must say it was very pride-inducing as it is somewhat of a family recipe. Here's what I done did:

Costa Rican Kinda Sorta Rice

2 cups white long grain rice
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 orange bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 white onion
1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. chicken boullion (I recommend Sauza's "Caldo de Pollo")
1 Tbsp. safflower (Mexican Saffron - you can get it at the local ethnic market)
3 cups water

Dice all the vegetables and put them in a deep sauté pan with about a tablespoon of olive oil in the bottom. Add the rice and sauté until the white onions are beginning to become transparent. Add the water, boullion and safflower. Put on the lid and simmer until the rice is cooked through (about 15-20 minutes). When cooked, remove from heat, mix to combine the ingredients and add the black beans. Place in a lovely serving dish and enjoy!

Oh yeah. It's especially good with wine. Rioja works well. :-)

I'm going to have the leftovers in the fridgeRIGHT NOW.

2 comments:

Michele said...

YUM... Rice...

Pjamms said...

I was thinking the same thing!! Have you made it lately...??