Saturday, December 10, 2005

No time for time to be time.

Hello,

The other day I found a notice on my front door that the complex was getting new managers. This made me a little sad as the current managers (husband and wife) are really, really kind and help me out very quickly with maintenance issues and such. I'm sure the new people are nice too, but I still will miss the old ones.

As I left for the gym (which is going well by the way) I noticed the wife standing in the lobby. I had an appointment with a trainer and didn't have time to say much. We just quickly chatted about where they're going and that's about it. Apparently she got a new job in the main office and they're moving out to the suburbs. As I thanked her for being a good manager and ran to my car to avoid being late, it dawned on me that our relationship had always been that way - squeezed inbetween other stuff.

When I came to look at this place it was about 30 minutes before work so we had to be quick about it. I basically ran in, looked at it, got the info and ran out. Whenever I called them it was to ask about a package or request something get fixed while I was running out the door to school or work. When one of them was walking around the complex, it was at a time when nothing more than "Hi!" could be said as we both had to be somewhere very soon.

I know they were just the managers of the building, but it seemed like they could have been really interesting. They were Latin American and had a little boy. When the wife spoke Spanish to her son, it reminded me of my grandma. There's a good chance we could have swapped recipes or something. Both the husband and the wife were very friendly and seemed to enjoy talking to people.

In life there are people you never get to know for whatever reason. That's fine and all, but I still wonder what could have been...

Here's a picture. You know I can't resist.

No comments: