Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Independence Day

Happy Fourth of July!

Well...that is...if you're in the United States. Or...actually you could be in another country but FROM the United States as well I suppose...oh hell...not that you HAVE to be from the United States just to celebrate the Fourth of July...if you...ahh...

Forget it. Just Happy Fourth of July.

SO. What did you do? I don't know what you did but I made soup! Seriously! It's really good too! It was inspired by a recipe I saw last night on t.v. and a recipe on the bag of lentils I bought for the soup because I didn't quite remember the recipe I saw last night and hadn't written it down (of course).

HERE IT IS.

Michael's Fourth of July Lentil Soup

1 lb. lentils
1 small chopped white onion
1 large chopped carrot
1 small chopped zucchini
2 chopped stalks of celery
4 cans stewed tomatoes (the pre-seasoned "Italian" ones are great)
64 oz. vegetable broth
2T Basil
2T Italian Seasoning

Throw everything in a pot. You don't need to add salt because of the tomatoes. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 45 minutes or so, stirring occasionally.

PICTURES

The soup with an inspirational saying.



Bogie wants some.



This is far from over. I want to experiment and tweak the recipe, maybe with spinach added, maybe something else. Sour cream? I dunno. Regardless, this is what was made today and I will keep you posted as more things get tried.

Yum!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is Rand, and I'm your Uncle Tudo's boyfriend. I'm enjoying your blog. More food fotos puleeeeze! I have a great recipe for a veggie Mediterranean Salad that, when I have another minute (perhaps in 2008!), I should forward to you. Not being a carnivore myself, I totally understand your frustration of the lack of menu items. There's a really good total vegan restaurant here in PS called "Native Foods", but boy does their stuff look complicated to make. Anyway, take care and I look forward to meeting you when your Uncle come visit to terrorize your mom. Rand

Pjamms said...

Hi Rand! It's nice to hear from you AND discover you're a vegetarian too!

Yes. Please send the recipe if you have time and I look forward to meeting you and/or terrorizing my mom as well.

Take care!