Friday, July 27, 2007

Don't give up on us yet.

Something occurred to me the other day.

When Jeannie and I went to Park City, we were taking pictures at the bottom of Main Street and a woman came by asking if we both wanted to be in the picture. She offered to take our picture and it was nice of her.

She didn’t run off with the camera.

She didn’t need a copy of the photo.

She simply wanted to help us enjoy our vacation.

Things like that renew my faith in humankind. Recently I read this story about Michael Vick’s “not guilty” plea and it boggles my mind how some people can be so selfish and blind to the big picture, and usually on purpose. He actually rode off in an SUV and had his attorney read a statement “from him” to the media. Part of it was an apology to his mother which was read while his mother stood there by herself, her son already leaving the scene.

What a fine gentleman.

Stories like that make me very disappointed with the state of things today. I’m not that old but it just seems to be a much more inconsiderate world than it was before.

But there are still good people out there. People clued in onto what was going on and caught him. People protested at the NFL headquarters on behalf of the defenseless animals. Falcons owner Arthur Blank told Vick to “concentrate on his legal problems, not football” and suspended him from training camp.

Plus…there was that lady in Park City.

These are very important reminders that we are still good for the most part.

I'm holding onto that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way too good people "few and far in between" eh? I understand you on that front. But if you don't trust anyone, you get lonely, in need of friends. It's good that you have trust bro. Physical belongings are just that. If you worry about losing it, you shouldn't own it in the first place.

The Vick case? I hope he gets nailed for every bit that he's guilty of.

I believe in the justice system, though flawed. But having dogs fight: It's just mean! Pets are out companions, not objects of making money. (I don't like breeders for the same reason)

Pjamms said...

I completely agree with you about breeders. A dog is not a designer sweater.

Anonymous said...

Our, not "out"

Pjamms said...

Gotcha. ;-)