Monday, November 13, 2006

Weekend Update (and it feels so good).

Hi! Besides Cake Day here is what happened this weekend.

Friday night:

My friend Natalie came over once again (Yay!) and we made breakfast for dinner. Buckwheat pancakes with peanut butter and bananas, veggie patties (a la sausage) and roasted garlic red potatoes were on the menu. Oh! Mimosas too!! MMM!



Saturday I went to the new Tai Pan Trading Company. The store is housed in a massive building with acid-washed concrete floors and candle wreathy whatsits crammed in every corner and square inch of said acid-washed floorspace. Imagine an airplane hangar without the plane after being sneezed upon by about 200 overzealous Martha Stewart inspired decorators. It was very interesting. They did have a large number of very nice prints that I would buy if I actually had places to put them.

After Tai Pan I went to Liberty Heights Fresh to look for a dessert to bring to my friends Rebecca and Michael's for dinner. There wasn't anything there I wanted to take but I could have purchased the contents of the entire store if it hadn't been too chilly to hang around. That was close. Whew!!

By this time I was hungry so I went to Wild Oats for lunch. It was a tuna sandwich on sourdough with roasted eggplant soup. GOD that was good. While lunching on the mezzanine I Yahoo Chatteteteted with some friends of mine. It was like they were there! Well, it was like they were there in the form of a small silver box with a screen and no voice or face.

Whatever.

From Wild Oats I went to another supermarket to get the accoutrement to make dessert (which I decided would be a raspberry yogurt pie) and went home, made the dessert, worked on another snow hat I'm knitting, and then went to Rebecca and Michael's.

Let me just say this before I start describing dinner. Rebecca is an INCREDIBLE chef and VERY SKILLED foodie. I only wish I had an ounce of her culinary prowess and SOME DAY, ladies and gents I WILL.

But until then I'll just go over there and gorge myself. Done and done.

Moving on...while I was flittering around trying to figure out how to get pictures of the AMAZING FEAST Rebecca had made (I forgot my camera), Michael reminded me I liked to WRITE and since I am a technical WRITING major I should utilize my WRITING abilities and create a compelling description of what we had.

He's right. Sometimes this blog gets a little "Picture Happy" at the expense of wordage so I will do my best to describe it. It's what I should do most of the time anyway.

Thank you Michael!

Anyway...in their deliciously appointed townhouse with the robin's egg blue walls and black Scandinavian dining set I salivate over every time I see it, we snacked upon martini olives baked in puff pastry (which were magnificent) while Rebecca twittered around the kitchen finishing off the dinner preparations like a humming bird. Then the meal began. We first had a caesar salad with rich, nutty flavored homemade caesar dressing (made by Rebecca of course). The greens were cool and crispy and the dressing was perfect. Not too salty and not too fish-laden. This was followed with a main course of plump, perfectly al dente penne with smoked salmon in a light pink sauce with a bit of garlic. The sauce was noticeable but not intrusive, and the smoked salmon was just in the right amount to not overpower the dish. Of course there was a crusty, chewy Italian Boule to go with all of this.

Delightful!

After this and wine, wine and more wine, we had my pie. It paled in comparison to the effort that went into the dinner but they were very nice about it. Michael had an extra piece so it couldn't have been too bad.

Around 11:30 p.m. I went home and slept until 11 the next morning. My friend Jackie came over and we had coffee and talked about soy products for 2 hours (seriously). After coffee I went to my parents house, did laundry, had dinner with them, then came home around 7 after another stop at the supermarket for the week.

I've made some tilapia with wild rice and fresh green beans and put them in tupperwares for the week. That is exciting.

SO...that was my weekend. What did you do?