Saturday, February 03, 2007

Pensamientos médicos/Medical thoughts

A friend and I were talking about medical issues due to my dad's recent heart attack (he's doing very, very well by the way). She mentioned taking pills for migraines that left her incapacitated and how sometimes she would need them at work. "Migraines come on when they come on, and sometimes it can be inconvenient" she said.

Eventually she got used to how dizzy and disoriented they made her feel, but it still was hard to get through the day. Soon enough there was a far less aggressive medication to take so she switched and does much better now.

It never ceases to amaze me what some people have to do each day just to make it to sunset. I can't even imagine maintaining some semblance of normalcy while on chemotherapy treatments, kidney dialysis, morphine injections or whatever else. That would be so brutal, but when you talk to people who've gone through such things, they don't seem to be too phased. Sure, you can see it is/was hard on them and they have every right to be exhausted. Honestly, if my nose is even a little bit runny I'm liable to drive off the freeway with my coffee mug on the roof of the car and my left blinker clicking away into oblivion! But they don't seem to be too upset. They just...deal with it.

I guess it's one of those survival instincts we have. Your body and mind just force you into an acceptance state so you won't stop moving. You are immediately able to accept the sheer volume of the situation since it's so damn large you couldn't even begin to break it down if you wanted to.

The ability to survive.

So, if you or anyone you know is going through a complicated medical situation, my thoughts are with you and I'll wish for a very speedy recovery - though you're probably well on your way by now.

Humans are cool like that.

No comments: