Saturday, February 17, 2007

Iowupdate

Hello!

Someone left a comment on a previous post but didn't say who they were. I would love to respond...who was you? Let me know.

Okay...so...Iowa. It's pretty cool! I'm not just talking about the weather either (currently the temperature is 19 degrees fahrenheit). There are a lot of neat things to see and do here.

Yesterday we went to Iowa City and the Ped Mall. It's a district in the middle of the town chock full of interesting, unique, independent and somewhat funky (in a good way) shops and cafes with vibrant storefronts snuggled along brick-lined pedestrian walkways sans vehicle traffic. The atmosphere and feel of it was very similar to Portland's Pearl District. Iowa City's public library is at one end of the Mall and it is quite striking. If I have my facts correct, it was built in 1981-ish and recently renovated. At least that location. In any case it was a beautiful building and they are fortunate to have such a place.

Yes, as a former employee of Salt Lake City Library I did draw comparisons. It's not as large as Salt Lake's but it's far more accessible and less hectic and I liked it better so THERE.

We ducked in and out of shops as it was FREEZING outside but did manage to make it into Prairie Lights bookstore. I loved it. Hopefully on Sunday there will be time to go back. Bookstores are wonderful.

Also I hope there's time to at least snap a few pictures of the Ped Mall on Sunday as my camera completely DIED after TWO PICTURES yesterday and you KNOW how I am about PICTURES!!

Not bitter.

After the Ped Mall we went to Cedar Rapids. Greg (brother-in-law) had to take a drug test and pick up a box of weights similar to a 5 year-old's girth for his new job which will start sometime this month. He is in social work so it makes sense. On the way to the test, we passed the Quaker Oats building! The actual building! Quaker Oats! In Cedar Rapids!! Just like it says on the package!!

It was like spotting a celebrity. A celebrity with lots and lots of fiber.

Greg finished his test and we went to Coral Ridge Mall afterward. That is a great mall. It's not so huge it's daunting and it's not so small it would be pointless to go...plus they have a DIPPIN' DOTS KIOSK. I had Dippin' Dots for the first time in a few years as all the locations in Utah closed and moved to venues like the zoo and children's concerts. I'm sure you can guess how frequently I go to the zoo and children's concerts so you know how much I can have Dippin' Dots. I forgot how badly they freeze-dry your tongue but damn were they tasty. Mmm.

It started to snow so we headed home at that point. Did I mention my car? My sister and brother-in-law only have one car so I rented a car to make it easier as Greg has to work this weekend. It was supposed to be an economy car but all they had was an SUV. So I have a HUGE SUV which actually was very handy to drive home in while it snowed. It even has four-wheel drive.

No, I'm still not going to buy one.

Well, maybe if it ran on hydrogen or Bio-Diesel or something.

Man I wish I had some Dippin' Dots.

Anyway...after that we all took naps and some friends of my sister came over (after we woke up of course). We all had birthday cake and wine and they were very friendly and fun to talk to. It was also very nice of my sister to bake me a birthday cake and have friends over to celebrate! My birthday is Monday and that's when I fly home so we had it last night. It was lovely.

Today my sister and I are getting in the tank-I mean, SUV-and going shopping and to the Figge Art Museum. It should be delightful.

More to come. Stay tuned...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that was me. I forgot to leave my name. Glad we got to see you.

-Daphne's Mommy

Pjamms said...

Hi Daphne's Mommy!! Thank you!!

It was awesome to see you and the family! You and Jack are fun to talk to and Daphne is just delightful.

Hope to see you this summer!