Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Kuh-Ree-Mahs-Ooh

I don't know what happened. I just can't explain it.

I went to the store for some of the usual items...mostly cans of soup...and I was about to leave. To leave my neighborhood Smith's Market, one must pass the seasonal items in the middle of the store. While rolling by with the cart, a white box caught my eye. It said:

"Two Foot Decorated Christmas Tree with LIGHTS!"

I have always poo-poohed holiday decorations. It just seems like a waste of perfectly good paper and plastic products. I've had my own place for awhile now (in various locales) and never, ever, EVER have I wanted to get any kind of holiday decor whatsoever. It just wasn't something worth spending money on.

At least, that's how it was before.

Something took hold of me right then, in front of the box. Something very odd and somewhat twisted. Suddenly I wanted to belt out "Sleigh Ride" and push all the buttons on the singing snowmen displayed on shelves above my head. Hot Apple Cider and Pumpkin Pie started to sound absolutely delicious. I was giddy. I was filling up with the holiday spirit.

I was out of control.

Before I knew what happened the tree box was in my cart. Then it was headed for the register. Then it was being purchased by ME, the BIGGEST ANTI-HOLIDAY person KNOWN in the UNIVERSE. The one who, after helping decorate a 12' Christmas Tree, called it "A waste of glitter." Ebenezer Scrooge 2005! ME!!

I threw the tree in my trunk and fled from the store in a confused stupor. What was I thinking?! It's not even Thanksgiving yet! This was ridiculous! These thoughts were put on hold by the presence of blinking lights in the lobby windows of my building as I turned into the drive.

They were icicle lights. Draped off the portico out front. With wreaths. And blinking, multi-color tree lights AND reindeer sculptures in the lobby...covered in lights!

I didn't feel so bad anymore. I put up the tree and I must say it looks just delightful.

To hell with it. I'm going to like this whether I want to or not.

HAPPY (PAINFULLY EARLY) HOLIDAYS!