Monday, July 06, 2009

Today is my Dad's birthday.

Yesterday they had a surprise birthday party for him. My Mom asked me to write something about him that she could read at his party, so I wrote this:

My Dad is responsible for my drive to learn. Fitting, since he's a teacher, but I guess that is what he loves to do in life - to inspire thirst for knowledge. He clearly didn't scrimp on me when it came to that.

Any time I ever wanted to know about something, I went to him. My walking encyclopedia. If he didn't know the answer, he damn well knew how to find the answer and would educate me as soon as he did. As a result of his influence, I have always taken the time to study both sides of an issue, I have never been confounded about my nation's government and how it operates and I have always learned the correct way to pronounce foreign words just in case I find myself somewhere that might come in handy.

The world is fascinating to me and I have my Dad to thank for that. He drove me to school in the mornings with NPR on the radio - where I first learned about different types of music from other countries. When I was in college and my studies in English, Political Science, Public Speaking, you name it, had come to a screeching halt, he swooped in for the rescue and got me motivated again.

When I wrote anything out of creativity, he would read and applaud it, then encourage me to write more. Most importantly, he was the one who got me my first National Geographic subscription as a child with an issue featuring beautiful photos from an interesting city called Portland. He opened my mind and encouraged me to never be afraid to ask a question. He showed me how to peacefully exist with others in this world.

He taught me how to live.

Thank you, Dad. I am a better person because of you and I will never, ever forget that.

Happy Birthday. Love you.

No comments: