Monday, July 27, 2009

The Tea Box

Don't make fun of me.

About 9 months ago, my aunt sent me a housewarming care package. In it was a box of Trader Joe's Irish Breakfast tea and some great towels with palm trees on them - plus a matching trash can. Thanks, Auntie!

The tea was nice to drink through the winter, and it was also a pleasure to have iced in the summer. I took the box of tea to work with me when I was hired at my current employer, and it has sat on the shelf above my computer there ever since. Each morning I grab a bag and make some hot tea in my water bottle, then add cool water to make it "iced". Since I don't like to drink much coffee, it's a nice alternative and I still get some caffeine. I love it.

Today, I used the last of the tea. After putting the bag in my water bottle, I picked up the box and took one last look at it before throwing it out.

I really shouldn't have taken that look.

Suddenly, the tea box transformed itself into an old friend. All the memories of moving into the new place, getting used to being in a new place and all the good and bad that comes with it while drinking the tea came roaring back into my head. This was NOT just a STUPID TEA BOX, this was a FIXTURE from my EARLY DAYS HERE and right then, in front of the garbage can, it felt like I was losing a piece of my very heart and soul! WHY WOULD I DO THAT?!

(Ahem...I realize it's just a stupid tea box.)

After casually tossing it in the garbage like it didn't bother me (oh but it did), I glanced around to see if anyone was looking and took it out of the trash. It's back on my desk. Empty. There is even a corner that came unglued. It's not a useful box anymore, but there it is.

Maybe it's because I'm still adjusting to living somewhere new and still feel a little vulnerable. Maybe it's because my aunt gave me the tea and I miss my family, or maybe it's because I am batshit circus crazy and need to be in a straitjacket. I JUST DON'T KNOW.

But it's not leaving my line of vision. Not yet.

It's just too soon.

2 comments:

Jaicat said...

What if you laminated the box and put dried flowers in it? Juxtapose a really round bunch of flowers (like a huge cluster of Queen Anne's Lace, perhaps?) in the square box. So the box is useful again (as a vase that doesn't need water), and it can symbolize growing from something nice your family gave you.

See, I'm brilliant. Call me, we must talk the talk of talks!

Sockmonkey said...

I have a small wooden box that contained house warming tea bags at one time and it has become an old friend. It's served may purposes, including a jewelry holder, clip holder, condiment holder and yes, even a tea bag holder (once again).
When it's time, you'll let go.