Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Irma Alicia Garcia, 1984-2006

I don't want to do this. But I will.

While I was working as a reading tutor in an elementary school I met her. She was one of those people who seem to have known you in a previous life or something like that. Talking openly and honestly about everything in my life was not a big deal with her and she felt the same way. After a few conversations we decided to hang out. We drank the night away at her friend's place playing goofed up Uno and I couldn't remember having more fun any other time in my life. It just clicked.

Later, through her, I would not only discover new and wonderful people from many diverse backgrounds but also develop a Latino identity that was there all along - it just didn't have someone to coax it out. She was the one who took me to a club for the first time, and who taught me how to salsa dance. When I seemed to catch on (for a little bit) she told me "It's in your blood!" as the music blared around us. I believed her.

She was like a sister. In the short time I knew her we acquired so many inside jokes and references it was like speaking another language when anyone else was around. We had a favorite song. There was even a long and complicated story as to why that song (Choke Me, Spank Me (Pull My Hair) by Xzibit) was our favorite song as we both found it atrocious.

Around her and the friends she introduced me to, I felt so safe and comfortable in my own skin. She was comfortable in her skin too. That's why it worked so well. She was never, ever afraid to look at something from a different angle. She was never afraid to consider what the other side had to say in any issue - which is why she would have made one hell of an attorney. Her dream was to become a Civil Rights attorney and fight for equality and freedom. That was so important to her.

Irma died last week in a car accident in Mexico. I don't really know much else at this point but a memorial service will be held Friday for her in Missouri. I wish I could go but I know she would understand why I couldn't right now. Due to her ROTC obligations she had to put law school on hold for another few years. I just wish she could have made it. There are so many people who could have used her help.

If anyone who knew her is reading this, will you contact me? We need to have a memorial service for her here too.

Besitos, Irmy. Te amo mucho mi vida.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, P, I'm *really* sorry to hear this. She sounds like an amazing person. People like that are far too rare in this world. I hope the people she touched are inspired to carry on her work so that the loss (hopefully) won't be quite as great.

Always here for ya, bud... even though you may have to call 3-4 times. ;)

~V

Michele said...

So sorry about your friend. Have a hug! And maybe some vodka?

Ceci said...

I so appreciate this tribute to Irma, M. Thank you so much. Thank God nothing ever leaves the internet, I've read this so many times.

With love,
Ceci

Pjamms said...

Thank you so much for your kind words. I too am grateful and have read this many times as well.

Take good care.