Tuesday, February 21, 2006

I AM INTERNET. HEAR ME ROAR.

The following post was created to provide an example of just how powerful the Internet can be and was taped in front of a live studio audience.


About 15 years ago, my parents and I watched a special on the Ed Sullivan Show. It was hosted by Burt Reynolds and featured clips of performances during the 20-some years it was on t.v. One of the clips was an opera singer (I forget her name) who sang a very intriguing song. To this day I remembered the tune and always wondered what opera it was from and what the song was entitled so I could get it. Since all I could recall was one word from the title, "Anima," it looked hopeless.

(AUDIENCE SIGHS)

But tonight, ladies and gents, my luck was about to change. You see, there is this thing called Google and it lives on the Internet. When you harness it's power there's NOTHING you can't find!

(APPLAUSE)

Using specific Boolean search terms (don't I sound official?), I found the whole title of the song AND which opera it's from, then I downloaded the song into my iTunes library ALL IN ABOUT 30 SECONDS!!

(CHEERING, APPLAUSE)

That, my dear t.v. viewers, is...say it with me...

(AUDIENCE REPEATS WITH HOST)

"THE POWER OF THE INTERNET."

That's right everyone!!

(CHEERING, APPLAUSE, CUE MUSIC)

We'll be right back!!


I don't know about you but does that makes me jones for some serious vintage teeveeh. I could really use a 1970's sitcom right about now. Where's Bob Newhart when you need him? *sigh*

P.S. This was a true story by the way. Google seriously is the shizzy. I want to learn how it works. :-D

P.P.S. There is a light orb behind my head.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How 'bout some 70's ethnic flavor, like "Good Times" or "What's Happening"?

-L.Bob